Medical Professionals and Intern Training
Find out more about the Gippsland PGY2 General Year 2021
Latrobe Regional Hospital in conjunction with the West Gippsland Healthcare Group and the Trafalgar Medical Centre is now accepting applications from current medical intern candidates interested in a PGY2 General year for 2021. Find out more here.
Gippsland Rural Intern Training
The Gippsland Rural Intern Training (GRIT) program employs 25 interns a year through the Intern Match coordinated through the Post Graduate Medical Council of Victoria (PMCV).
Interns rotate through 5 well-supported rotations to gain full medical registration while developing essential skills and knowledge.
The following rotations are available to interns:
- Anaesthetics – Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Emergency (Core) – Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Emergency (Non-Core) – West Gippsland Healthcare Group
- Geriatric Evaluative Medicine - Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Medicine (Core) – Latrobe Regional Hospital, Central Gippsland Health Service and West Gippsland Healthcare Group
- Mental Health (Non-Core) - Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Oncology – Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Orthopaedics (Core Surgery) – Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Surgery – Central Gippsland Health Service and West Gippsland Healthcare Group
- General Practice - Maffra Medical Group, Heyfield Medical Centre and Breed Street Clinic, Traralgon
All successfully matched applicants will be provided with a rotation preference form and a leave preference form.
APPLICATIONS FOR INTERN POSITIONS OPEN 4 MAY 2020 AND CLOSE 4 JUNE 2020
If you would like to join the Gippsland Rural Intern Training program, please ensure your application includes:
- cover letter - indicating why you want to work in Gippsland
- curriculum vitae
- a photograph (if possible)
- transcript of academic results to date (a scanned copy is sufficient) – if outside of Victoria
- non-clinical reference
Note: No application form is required
Your application should be submitted via our Mercury Recruitment system before 4 June 2020.
Make sure you:
- register online for the computer match with the PMCV at http://www.computermatching.pmcv.com.au/ from 4 May 2020
- arrange for references via the PMCV online referee process from 4 May 2020
- submit your Candidates Priority List (CPL) to PMCV from 4 May 2020 (closes 4 June 2020)
- read the Frequently Asked Questions section
- access the websites of the participating hospitals to learn more about the hospitals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible to apply for an intern position?
Please see the Post Graduate Medical Council of Victoria's (PMCV) website for eligibility criteria.
How many positions are available?
There are 25 intern positions available. All of these positions are full-time and for one year.
How are the interviews arranged?
Interviews will be pre-recorded. See PCMV website for more details.
How much leave are interns given and how is it allocated?
Interns accrue 5 weeks annual leave. Two weeks are to be taken during the year and the remaining three at the end. Preference for annual leave is submitted with your rotation preference form.
What do I need to provide for my non-clinical reference?
A non-clinical reference is a 200 word reference from someone outside of the medical profession, preferably non-clinical research. This can be from a past employer, sporting group, volunteer organisation or religious sector.
Who do I address my cover letter to?
Please address your cover letter to the Medical Workforce Unit, Latrobe Regional Hospital.